Jiangnan University (JU) is a host institute of Confucius Institute Scholarship. Based on the requirements and regulations of Confucius Institute Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as Hanban), JU has set the application and admission process.
I. Scholarship Category
In 2019, JU can offer Confucius Institute Scholarship in three categories: four-week study, one-semester study and one-academic-year study. The study subject for all the three categories is Chinese language.
II. Application Eligibility
Applicants should be of non-Chinese citizenships and be in good health, aged between 16-35. Undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25. Applicants who are currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45.
(The age of applicants should be calculated according to the due time of Sep 1, 2019)
1. Four-week study applicants:JU’s Short-term Chinese training course aims to improve students’ Chinese competence, particularly the speaking and listening abilities. The training course is centered on Chinese language, but optional units on Chinese culture are also provided. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicant should have HSK score, and have no prior experience of studying in China. Duration of this scholarship is four weeks. The training at JU will start in either June or July 2019.
2. One-semester study applicants:JU’s long-term Chinese training course aims to improve students’ Chinese speaking, listening, reading and translating abilities comprehensively and effectively. The training course integrates general knowledge about Chinese culture into the whole training process. Meanwhile, optional units on culture are provided. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and have HSKK score. Duration of this scholarship is five months. The training at JU will start in either early September 2019 or late February 2020.
3. One-academic-year study applicants:JU’s long-term Chinese training course aims to improve students’ Chinese speaking, listening, reading and translating abilities comprehensively and effectively. The training course integrates general knowledge about Chinese culture into the whole training process. Meanwhile, optional units on culture are provided. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and have HSKK score. Duration of this scholarship is eleven months. The training at JU will start in either early September 2019 or late February 2020.
III. Scholarship Value
The Confucius Institute Scholarship covers:
1. Tuition Fee
2. Accommodation Fee
3. Comprehensive Medical Insurance Fee
4. Monthly Allowance (2500 RMB/month,four-week study applicants are not included.)
1.Applicants shall register and fill the application form on Confucius Institute website (http://cis.chinese.cn). Also, scanned copies of application supporting documents shall be uploaded.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate are functioning as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. JU reviews the application materials and submit provisional admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban organizes overall assessment of applications and confirms the admission list. The admission result will be published in three months before admission.
5. JU mails the admission materials to applicants directly or through recommending institutions.
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
2. Passport Photo Page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
3. Transcript of the HSK, HSKK.Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate”.
4. Academic Degree Certificate/Diploma (or letter of registration)
5. Two References (at least one is academic reference)
6. Applicants who are currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide employment certificate and a reference from the institute they work for.
Four-week study applicants：late March（Admission：June or July 2019）
One-semester or one-year applicants：early May or early November（Admission：early September 2019 or late February 2020）
For other information, please contact:
Ms. Jessie Qin